Fusion Critics Poll, 1972, continued

October 3, 2011 by admin

Last week I reprinted the chart. Today, the individual ballots. (Will remove if some actual participant in the poll or former Fusion board member requests as much. That includes any of you former “Stone” critics.)

6 thoughts on “Fusion Critics Poll, 1972, continued

1. Steven Ward says:

Check out the small print at the bottom. The names of some other rock crits — Curt Eddy.
    Curt Eddy? Who was Curt Eddy?
    Chuck’s older rockcrit cousin?

I know, weird. Also, I assume “Dick Johnson” must be Rick Johnson? He did mention in his rockcritics interview several years back that Fusion was one of his early stomping grounds — wonder what prompted the change of moniker? Riegel to thread…

I love seeing Dolly Parton’s Just the Way I Am on Meltzer’s list. Huge fan of Dolly’s stuff from that era, don’t recall RM every mentioning her before.

Riegel to thread, over. Yes, Rick used the byline “Dick Johnson” briefly in the early ’70s. He also billed himself that way in Mark Shipper’s “Flash” fanzine of 1972. In person, everybody called him “Rick” (which he gradually mutated into “Reek’), so the “Dick” was evidently an early nom-de-plume goof which he fortunately abandoned.

(Speaking of Rick J. and “Dick” in the same paragraph, I used to go round & round with him when we were fellow CREEM scribes, admonishing him that if he wanted to make penile/hot dog puns, it was spelled “wiener,” not “weiner!” Rick could never keep that straight, nor evidently, could ex-Rep. Anthony Weiner[sic]. My ulterior motive in everyone acquainting themselves with Kraut phonetics, is of course that then they could pronounce and spell my own surname right the first time.)

Curt Eddy was a byline I saw often in rock mags of the early ’70s, but I don’t know anything about the guy otherwise. I remember that when I discovered Chuck Eddy’s writing around 1986, I thought that name sounded familiar. No connection that I know of, though.

4. Ann Powers says:

Whoa total sausage party. Not one woman? Or are some of the gender indeterminate names female? Lovingly, akp

5. jim macnie says:

IC Lotz did manage to weigh in. But I always thought that was Peck in a dress. Please, someone tell me different.

Les and John’s female running buddy? All I know is I wish I still had my Masked Marvel t-shirt.

and what about Meltzer with that parakeet training record?

Thanks for the link, Jim, never seen (or heard of) that before.

As for the Fusion list: definitely as white and as male as you can get, and as you’d (unfortunately) expect for 1972. In terms of female and African-American voters, the ’71 and ’74 Pazz & Jops are only marginally more progressive. Of the 40 ballots Christgau prints in the ’71 version, two are by women (Ellen Willis, Patricia Kennely). Of the 25 overall voters in the ’74 version, there are three women (Willis, Janet Maslin, Jaan Uhelszki). I don’t want to embarrass myself trying to count the number of black voters, but Vernon Gibbs, who votes in the latter poll, is the only one I’m aware of. What I’m honestly more surprised by than all of this, though, is the overriding whiteness of critical tastes, circa ’71-’74. It does put into some perspective Christgau’s, Marsh’s, et al., penchant for stepping on this particular soapbox time and again in the early phases of their careers.